Monday, May 12, 2008

Corrected edition of first blog

I dwell in a dense thicket with wild, tangled undergrowth in a Midwestern lodge, remote but close to small-town life. I watch seasons change, leaves fall and grass grow.

I am from the rich black soil of Saline County
I am from the one-room school and the “church in the wildwood”
I am from “The Lord helps those who help themselves” and
“Pretty is as pretty does”
I am from planting and harvesting and the frustration of broken equipment
I am from the song of the meadowlark and the cry of the killdeer
I am from hedgerows, fragrant backyard lilacs,and hollyhocks
I am from black cows standing in shallow ponds in summer and
frosted with snow sprinkles in winter
I am from droughts and floods and unpredictable Fahrenheits
I am from the scent of leather saddles and sweaty horses
I am from silky summer dust between bare toes and sloppy spring mud that sucks rubber boots from cold feet
I am from the crackle of khaki cornstalks in September and the indescribable perfume of fresh clover hay in June
I am from the voices of chickens and the rumble of grain trucks
I am from colossal haylofts and the pungent smell of cattle barns
I am from “What chew doin’on my road yestiday night?” and
“Call me if you need anything. . .”

I am from the “roo-al rout” (rural route) and the hum of grain dryers in fall
I am from daily talk of weather and crops and warm-hearted gossip in office break rooms and morning coffee groups
I am from stacks of books and carefully kept yearly journals
I am from barely repressed giggling with best-friend-daughters and the rowdy playfulness of children,
I am from friends of the soul who linger over long lunches and shared lives
I am from house calls, late dinners, phones that ring in the night
I am from listening, listening, listening to tales of broken relationships, and searches for repair
I am from friendly nods of greeting from drivers of pick-ups with gun racks behind their seats and border collies riding in the truck bed.
I am from sweet-natured men who work hard and care deeply
I am from love and laughter with a gentle cowboy from the Old West
I am from the hushed benediction of the prairie sunset
I am from answered prayers and God’s grace above, below, and all around my world

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Mom that was beautiful! You inspire me to think more like you do.
Sarah

Unknown said...

That left a lump in my throat and a longing for home... that was so beautifully written mom!

Darin said...

Carol Lee, you are from a great place! It is seen so well through your eyes - wonderfully done!

Anonymous said...

Carol, the poetry is extraordinary and so are you.

Hiltonadventures.com said...

Carol, you are an incredible writer..brought tears to my eyes as I think about our marvelous years in Marshall. Thanks for including me on the list.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Carol...reflections of life well-lived and bountiful and so revealing of the person I know and admire. That you have found one more creative outlet surprises me not one 'iota', as Momma used to say. Blessings...

Anonymous said...

Such vivid descriptions of where you're from with subtle insights about who you are! Thank you for reminding me of some parts of my own background and especially for sharing yours.

Anonymous said...

Carol:

sounds wonderful. It is good to
see the essence of Saline County in
print. Our childhoods and lives are so similar.

Elaine

Anonymous said...

Carol, you are outstanding. Thanks for sharing your talent with all of us. Love, Cathy Swinger

Anonymous said...

I am so proud to say I'm related to you, dear 2nd cousin (I think that's what I am!). Wow, God has given you an amazing gift dearheart! To put words together like that - I could relate to every scenario that you wrote about. I love that you're sharing your gift and I thank you for adding my name to the list.

Jo Hilton said...

What a wonderful entry! My mom sent me your blog and it's truly delightful! You're an incredible writer and poet! I love it!