Saturday, February 26, 2011

News Update

This is your 'man in London' reporting! Getting off the bus this afternoon at Hyde Park Corner, about 200 demonstrators were chanting outside the Libyan Embassy. London police were guarding the doors and BBC cameras and news vans were present. One large sign in English said, "China and Russia! Tell Ghaddafi to quit!"

This morning I was alone at the Starbucks on Susanne's block, writing in my journal. I overheard Americans talking- -I haven't heard an American drawl in 10 days. So presently I went over to their table and said, "Hi, where are you from?" And they replied, "Tripoli". I was quite taken back. The wives had gotten out last week and the two men came here yesterday. They were field engineers for oil companies. I asked them if they left everything, and they said, yes. . . even their pets. They are staying at the Marriott Hilton near here and do not know what is next.

"We are worried about our Libyan friends," they said, "The Libyan people are some of the nicest people in the world and they do not deserve this. Their ruler is a nutcase."

They asked when I was going back to the States. "Tell people that the Muslim people are not terrorists. They hate terrorists as much as Americans do." The two couples consider Houston their home, but they were Midwesterners, from Indiana.

No comments: