Sunday, June 17, 2012

Turkey Vultures

     I have long held a fascination with vultures (see blog note 5/13/11).  When I read The Bluebird Effect:
Uncommon Bonds With Common Birds  by Julie Zickefoose and saw her comments on vultures as a spiritual guide in Native American mysticism, I was intrigued.   "If a vulture has flown into your life, you are being asked to remedy a messy situation and turn it into something positive." . . ."a clean-up of psychic messes".    
      Since Zickefoose cleans out freezer burned food and leaves a bucket of it in the meadow for vultures periodically, her encounters with vultures may have more to do with her generosity.   "The freezer for me," she says, "is a place where good food goes to die."    She did observe that when placing a bucket of freezer-burned  beef, chicken and pork in the field, vultures would not eat a processed chicken nugget.   I have great respect for the judgment of the bird.
     I highly recommend this beautifully illustrated and interesting book.

No comments: